This 4-H vegetable gardening for kids guide is a fantastic way for youngsters to learn about the origins of food. A perfect family project and an excellent way to teach children responsibility, this simple guide explains:
- What can I do in the 4-H Vegetable Gardening Project?
- Design and plant a vegetable garden.
- Learn how to prepare the soil for a successful vegetable garden.
- Start vegetables from seed in a garden or in containers.
- Buy vegetable plants and grow them in your garden or in containers.
- Find out the right way to plant, water, fertilize and manage weeds, insects and diseases in your vegetable garden.
- Learn the different needs of your various vegetable crops. Some may require additional fertilizer at certain times, while others may want only water and weeding to thrive.
- Learn which plants grow best with a cooling mulch, such as wood chips, and which prefer a soil-warming mulch, like black plastic.
- Think about what you and your family like to eat and grow those things.
A great bonding project for families and an excellent way to teach survival skills, building and planting a vegetable gardening for kids is a ‘must’ spring and summer project!