Covering a variety of topics, this guide intently focuses on crucial subjects, including:
- Understanding basic mountaineering conditions and how to decipher the terrain and predict.
- Covering the basic gear needed to be a successful mountaineer, this technique guide details climbing ropes, knot tying skills, snaplinks and types of necessary equipment.
- Different climbing techniques are also highlighted, including mountain walking, balance climbing, holds, belays and rappelling.
- Understanding how to react and calmly deal with natural occurring hazards is necessary! Learn the basics of how to deal with unpredictable rock-falls, icefalls, avalanches, lightening storms and dangerous crevasses.
- Learn the importance of observation, cover and concealment.
- Distinguish between Mother Nature’s signs – learn different about types of clouds, strong blowing winds, thunderstorms, fogs, unpredictable traveling storms and most importantly, how to survive temperamental weather.
- When hiking in high altitudes, learn how to acclimate to air conditions, which may take between four to seven days. Knowing the symptoms and preparing yourself for this difficult task can be both mentally and physically helpful in overcoming expected symptoms.
- Know your necessary water needs and pay attention to your water supply. Learn how to conserve water and valuable nutrition.
- Basic survival techniques when faced with injury and illness are vital knowledgeable skills. Learn the basics of how to respond when faced with a dire situation.
This thorough basic mountaineering guide will help establish the basic mountaineering skills and knowledge necessary to take your skill set to the next advanced level.