This informative “how to” guide explains the basics behind emergency radio communication. This skill is an extremely valuable communication tool that when used properly during disasters can help save lives.
Covering the following detailed information, including:
- Radio Fundamentals - Radio is a technology that uses electromagnetic waves to convey information. This section also highlights radio spectrum, antennas, range, skip and modulation.
- The differences between AM and FM broadcast bands.
- Learn about the two-way radio, including two-way devices and cellular phones. Understand the differences between CB and Family Radio Service (FRS).
- Familiarize yourself with the Amateur Radio Service.
- Become familiar with the “code of ethics” surrounding two-way communication, when to use normal speech, when to encrypt information and when secrecy should be utilized.
- Know your phonetic alphabet! A is for Alpha Adam, B is for Bravo Boy, C is for Charlie Charles … this simple skill is an invaluable resource.
With a basic understanding of these simple emergency radio communication skills, you will be well on your way to helping your neighbors and community during an emergency.