When wanting to purchase a two way radio, familiarize yourself with the two way radio guide. Knowing your requirements and desires will help you make an informed purchase.
This informative two way radio guide highlights different two way radio features, including:
- Features to Consider in a Two-Way Radio
- Privacy Codes
- Call Features
- Weather Radios
- Lock Feature
- Display Screen
- Usage Life
- Learn the basic principles of two-way radios. For example, they are available with as few as two to as many as 14 channels, with prices higher for those offering more channels.
- Consider the speaker/mic jack option. While you will need to buy the additional accessories, this will allow you to have hands-free conversations.
- Many two-way radios include weather reception channels. A fantastic outdoor feature during an emergency or camping trip!
- Learn how most two-way radios carry a range of one to two miles, which depends on the terrain and weather conditions. Educate yourself so you know the limitations before an emergency strikes.
- Keep in mind that a few select models can extend range by using a bigger power source and another frequency called GMRS. This extra power and frequency requires a license from the F.C.C. and a fee for use of the radio.
- Familiarize yourself! Some two-way radio models operate off alkaline batteries only while others will allow nickel cadmium batteries as well; nickel cadmium batteries are more expensive and, unless the radio comes with one, requires purchasing an optional charger, but over the long haul, you will save money.
Understanding your ultimate goals when purchasing a two way radio will help you make the best choice. Ask yourself, do you plan to use the device for emergencies only? Are you an avid hunter or outdoorsman? Answering these questions can help point you towards a two way radio device that will meet all your needs.