Everyone knows the damaging effects of exposure to mercury poisoning. However, most consumers are in the dark about CFL hazards. The curly, long-lasting energy efficient Compact Fluorescent Lamps, slated to entirely replace the incandescent bulb market in early 2012 (though currently the deadline has been postponed due to government budget issues), has some little known health hazards.
This detailed article provides consumers with valuable information about CFL hazards, including:
- The U.S. government’s inability to properly recycle mercury in recycling facilities is a dangerous landfill issue. Where will the U.S. be with toxic exposure if this issue is not addressed before CFL bulbs are the required mainstream light bulb?
- If the bulb breaks, the harmful mercury exposure levels are astounding and frankly, quite shocking to consumers.
- What happens if the bulbs are not disposed of properly? Are waste management employees being exposed to dangerous levels of mercury?
- With minimal warnings and fine print on the CDL packaging, who is responsible for mercury exposure toxic cleanup? If the bulb breaks in your home, the EPA says it is YOUR responsibility.
This is a buyer be warned article! Instead of treating CFL bulbs as though they are similar to the non-hazardous incandescent bulbs of yesteryear, consumers need to understand the dangerous consequences and health effects that families are exposed to when a bulb suddenly breaks or is not properly disposed.